=== Shorten2Ping ===
Tags: ping.fm, bit.ly, ping, twitter, facebook, linkedin, plurk, tr.im
Requires at least: 2.7
Tested up to: 2.8
Stable tag: 1.1.1
Sends status updates to Ping.fm or Twitter everytime you publish a post, using Bit.ly or Tr.im for the permalinks.
== Description ==
Sends status updates to Ping.fm or Twitter everytime you publish a post. Using Bit.ly or Tr.im for the permalinks (accounts on these services required). So this way you can send status to many sites at once if you have a Ping.fm account or send only to Twitter if you prefer that.
= Features =
* Avoids to ping again when editing previously pinged post or even when editing an old post not pinged before.
* Option to choose between Ping.fm or Twitter for new post notifications.
* Option to choose between Bit.ly or Tr.im for shortened permalinks.
* Option to turn off notification or shortener service. Now you can use Shorten2Ping only for notification if your domain is already short enough for you, or use only to get shortened urls for your posts.
* Stores created shortened permalink in a post meta field (used for template integration).
rel="shorturl" as proposed at http://wiki.snaplog.com/short_url, creating auto-discovery link tag for short url on single post page header.
* You can use a template tag for showing visitors the short URL (using the same rel attribute as above for the shortened permalink).
* Locale support. Now available in English and Spanish (es_ES). If you want to make a translation for your language, use the shorten2ping.pot included and (if you want) send me the files to firstname.lastname@example.org for including it into the plugin package (you'll be credited, of course).
* Simple, fast, and useful :)
= Requirements =
* PHP 5.x with CURL and JSON enabled (maybe works too in PHP4, but not tested and not supported by me).
* WordPress 2.7.x or higher (maybe would work on older WP, but not tested and not supported by me).
* Required your own account for the services, Ping.fm or Twitter for the notification and Bit.ly or Tr.im for creating the short url.
== Installation ==
* Extract the zip file and just drop the contents in the
wp-content/plugins/ directory of your WordPress installation (or install it directly from your dashboard) and then activate the Plugin from Plugins page.
* After that go to options page 'Shorten2Ping' and fill the required information for your accounts, and customize the message template if you want.
* Now you're ready, the plugin will notify Ping.fm or Twitter (at your choice) everytime you publish a new post (and Ping.fm will do the same to every site that you configured there, if you use this service).
== Frequently Asked Questions ==
= Will this plugin works in WordPress older than 2.7? =
Maybe, but use it at your own risk. I'll not support anyone using outdated WP (or outdated PHP). At this moment I’m running this plugin on WP 2.7.1 and PHP 5.x and works fine, and it’s supposed to do on WP 2.8 too (but not tested yet). If you run anything below WP 2.7 and PHP 5.x, please update for your own good! (and dont ask me for support).
= Why you did this plugin? =
I wanted a (single) simple plugin for using Ping.fm + Bit.ly to notify about new posts to my contacts.
= Are you planning to add more features? =
At first only a few little improvements maybe. But if someone suggest a nice feature, and if I have time enough maybe I'll add it.
But it's not my priority. I want to keep it simple.
= I want to show the short permalink to my visitors. How can I do this? =
in your theme where you want to show the Bit.ly or Tr.im permalink. Or if you have advanced knowledge of WordPress
theme coding, you can get the
'short_url' post meta directly and showing it as you like.
= Hey man!, when I turn off shortener services in Shorten2Ping and send notifications directly to Twitter, I get Bit.ly links anyway... =
Twitter has decided to shorten ALL URLs (except the ones already shortened) sent to Twitter using Bit.ly service (without user API). But you can keep track of the statistics if you dont put your Bit.ly information in the Shorten2Ping settings.
== Changelog ==
Originally based on WordTwit 1.2 by Duane Storey.
PingFM function based on one by Sold Out Activistclass for the pingPressFM plugin, and Bit.ly function by David Walsh & Jason Lengstorf.
= 1.0 =
* Initial release.
= 1.0.1 =
* Fixed a typo and Ping.fm developer approved.
= 1.0.2 =
* Replaced PHPingFM by Dmitri Gaskin for a single function based on the one by Sold Out Activist for the pingPressFM.
= 1.1 =
* Added support for http://twitter.com and http://tr.im
* Some other minor improvements/cleanup in the code.
* Store settings in an array to reduce calls to database.
* Added options for choose shorten and notification services, and to turn off them (so you can use Shorten2Ping only for notification if your domain is already short enough for you, or use Shorten2Ping only to get shortened urls for your posts).
= 1.1.1 =
* Changed action hook. Now the ping function is called only when post changed status from X to publish (where X can be new, draft, pending or future). So now, if you edit an old post (that you published before installing Shorten2Ping) or the post has any else status than mentioned this plugin does nothing.
* Removed echo statement at tr.im function (used while debugging) that causes no returning to post edit page after publishing on some cases.
* Removed @ operator at json_decode functions, now if any error happens while calling json_decode it will show on screen.